Pages

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? --Albert Einstein

Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year--New Classics Challenge

I am pleased to announce that, with the completion of The Call of the Wild, I have successfully finished Sarah's 2013 Back to the Classics Challenge. (See my post at the beginning of the year.)

Other books I read include Kidnapped, The Three Musketeers, Moll Flanders, Beloved, and Light in August. If you are interested in my thoughts on any of these books, click on the title.

This year, Sarah (from www.sarahreadstoomuch.com) is turning over the reins of the challenge to Karen K. at her blog, Books and Chocolate. (http://karensbooksandchocolate.blogspot.com).

I am officially accepting the 2014 Back to the Classics Challenge with these books on my list:

  1. A 20th Century Classic: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
  2. A 19th Century Classic: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  3. A Classic by a Woman Author: My Antonia by Willa Cather
  4. A Classic in Translation: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert 
  5. A Classic About War: The Guns of Navarone by Alistair McLean 
  6. A Classic by an Author Who Is New To You: Candide by Voltaire 
According to the rules, each book must be at least fifty years old, and more importantly, I can change my mind! Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on completing the 2013 challenge--I love this particular challenge myself, and try to read fellow classic readers' reviews.

    Good luck with the 2014 challenge--Karen has some great new categories that were fun to think about. I loved Heart is a Lonely Hunter when I read it a few years ago, and I read Tale of Two Cities last year and also really liked it. I'll be interested to hear how you like Candide.

    ReplyDelete